In August 2015, Travel Media Showcase headed to Bloomington, Indiana to bring leading print and broadcast travel media to meet with representatives from the United States, Canada, and international destinations.
To Australians, much of America’s Midwest is overlooked for the bright lights and big cities on the east and west coasts. I wanted to change this.
While in Indiana, I discovered Downtown Bloomington and the secrets hidden in the suburbs, while also experiencing one of Indiana’s road trips, travelling the ArtsRoad 46 between three distinctly different art colonies.
Blog posts published following #TMSBloomington:
- Is This America’s Most Beautiful Campus?
- A Quick Guide to Bloomington, Indiana
- Tasting Truly American Wines at Oliver Winery & Vineyard
- A Piece of Tibet in America’s Midwest
- Driving Southern Indiana’s ArtsRoad 46
- The Miller House & Garden in Columbus, Indiana
- A Quick Guide to Columbus, Indiana
A Semi-Viral Success?
In the 30 days following the post ‘Is This America’s Most Beautiful University Campus?’ being published the post had been viewed more than 81,300 times with the post continuing to attract a steady flow of visitors from both social media and search engines. To date (50 days after the initial publishing date), the post has been viewed 160,927 times with the post stills receiving 1,000-3,000 views per day.
The post has received 65 comments, many commenting on their own IU story or sharing which university they believe is the most beautiful.
Visitors were primarily from the United States (80%), with the UK, Canada, Malaysia, Australia, Singapore and Indonesia making up the remaining percentages.
The post received an incredible amount of attention on social media, most notably through Facebook and Twitter.
Stats from the first Facebook post:
- Seen by 23,659 people
- 3,372 post clicks
- 989 reactions, comments & shares
- 139 shares directly from the Bitten by the Travel Bug Facebook page
Stats from the second Facebook post:
- Reached 1,707 people
- 131 post clicks
- 51 reactions, comments & shares
In 12-months, ‘Is this America’s Most Beautiful University?‘ has received over 153,000 unique views!
Social Media Exposure on all posts (still calculating):
- 6 Instagram photos were shared with over 768 likes and 46 comments.
- 14 Facebook updates were shared with over 391 Reactions, Comments & Shares and seen by 36,113.
- Pinterest, Twitter, and Swarm/FourSquare were also used throughout the campaign.