With the New Year here it’s a time to think forward. I’m not one to make huge New Years Resolutions, but I do like New Year Projects. A New Year Project is something that I can work on throughout the year that improves my skills. That’s where this project comes in.
I live in the world’s best city, as voted for the record-breaking seventh year in a row! While I’ve chosen to spend more and more time in Melbourne over the last two years, after deciding that it’s where I want to call home, I still feel like I’m discovering something new each time I go out. A new cafe, a new suburb, a new treasure I want to share.
I want to know the best things to do in Melbourne and the beautiful towns and cities surrounding it.
Hosting airbnb guests gives me the chance to be able to share a little but why not share it with you on the blog? In a fun challenge for me – and it will be a challenge! – I want to explore 52 of Melbourne’s suburbs and towns in 2018 to get to know this wonderful state just a little bit better.
It’s also an opportunity for me to improve my photography skills. Two weeks ago I picked up a new Nikon D750 after an accident in Thailand – more about that soon – led me to become the proud owner of one very expensive rusty camera-shaped paperweight. I’m still not 100% confident in using Manual mode, and that’s something I want to improve on, before expanding my skills into learning how to take night sky photography and (maybe) begin creating videos again!
Every week (!) I will be sharing a post about one of the suburbs listed below. I’ve highlighted the first seven suburbs I’ll be writing about, but I’d love to know if there’s a place you’d like to read about sooner or if you think I’m overlooking a suburb or town worth exploring. Just let me know in the comments below or message me on Twitter!
The shortlist, so far:
- CBD: Flinders Street – Southern Cross
- CBD: Southern Cross – Melbourne Central
- Melbourne CBD – It is possible to have a stylish getaway to Melbourne on a budget!
- CBD: Parliament to Flinders St
- CBD: Chinatown
- North Melbourne
- Port Melbourne
- Albert Park
- St Kilda
- Brighton – one of Melbourne’s most luxurious suburbs, best known for the Instagrammable bathing boxes!
- South Yarra
- Camberwell – home to some of the best brunches in Melbourne, just outside the city centre.
- Pearcedale – Meet some of Australia’s cutest residents at Moonlit Sanctuary
- Phillip Island
- Yarra Valley
- The Bellarine (Barwon Heads, Ocean Grove, Queenscliff, and Portarlington) – discover one of Victoria’s best kept secrets with a day trip to The Bellarine Peninsula!
- Port Campbell – Known best as the nearest town to the 12 Apostles, there’s so much more to see, do and eat around Port Campbell!
- Daylesford/Hepburn Springs
- Wilson’s Promontory
Other neighbourhoods under consideration: Chadstone, Flemington, Kensington, Yarraville, Werribee, Williamstown, Portland, Wodonga, Flinders, Kyneton, The Dandenongs, Beechworth, Hotham, Falls Creek/Alpine Drive, King Valley, Wangaratta, Mildura, Shepparton
Now it’s over to you. Let me know in the comments